Chair of Governors
I have a personal connection with WASPS through my two granddaughters, one of whom has recently left Year 6 and the other has moved into Year 6 – doing the school run most days and attending Year Assemblies and many other school events. I would like to use the experience and skills gained over 34 years in state education to support the Headteacher and staff in their ongoing work to give the children of WASPS an enjoyable and first-rate school experience.
Previously I was Head of Modern Languages, Deputy Head and spent 12 successful years as Headteacher of a large, mixed secondary school in South Gloucestershire. After retiring in 2006 I worked for 3 years in Gloucestershire as a Secondary School Improvement Partner and for 10 years teaching part-time GCSE and ‘A’ Level German and French at King Edward’s School, Bath.
Anton has been involved with WASPS as a parent for many years whose three children attended WASPS before moving on successfully to other schools.
Anton is a serving Fire Officer for Avon Fire and Rescue Service, responsible for the unitary areas of Bristol and North Somerset. Along with operational incidents, part of his role includes fire investigation, Health and Safety accident investigation and community safety within his management role.
He, with a colleague is in the process of setting up a “WorkFit” Scheme within the Fire Service to provide employment support for young adults with Special Needs.
Anton joined WASPS as a governor in January 2019 and his wealth of Health & Safety expertise is of real value to the school.
Emma grew up in southwest London but has lived in Bath for the past 11 years. Emma is mum to three daughters who all attend WASPS. She works part time at Oldfield School teaching science and as a science tutor working with small groups of students as part of the Covid catch up programme.. Emma also runs her own successful science tuition business, helping GCSE and A level students to improve their confidence and knowledge. Every summer she works as an Examiner, leading a team that marks GCSE Biology papers for Edexcel. Before starting her family, Emma lived and worked in Canada, America and France spending six winters in the mountains, ski instructing, tour guiding and running chalets. During any free time, Emma likes to run on the local hills, potter about in the garden, spend time around British coastlines, or do any other kind of outdoor activity, including volunteering with Weston Litter Group.
As part of The Partnership Trust, the governance of WASPS is part of the structure of the whole Trust. Details can be found on The Partnership Trust’s Governance page.
Vice Chair of Governors
• 1966-69: Chemistry degree at Nottingham University.
• 1969-71: two years with the charity VSO teaching at a college of higher education in Tamil Nadu, South India.
• 1971-73: two year Masters degree in Education & Science at Cambridge University.
• 1973-2015 Chemistry teacher at Kingswood School in Bath: additional roles included Senior House Master of a boarding house, Head of Careers Education & Guidance, sports coach and Ten Tors trainer, pastoral and academic tutor, member of Advisory Committee for a new-build Kingswood Prep School 1992-3.
• Retired July 2015: current roles and responsibilities: Trustee and Treasurer of the Village Service Trust, a charity supporting marginalised and tribal communities in southern India; Development Manager for Young Carers Development Trust, a charity supporting young carers in Avon, Somerset and Wiltshire; Vice-Chair of WASPS local governing body; voluntary assistant archivist at Kingswood School.
• Interests: cycle-touring, fell-walking, photography, member of All Saints Weston Church, member of Weston Gardening Club, member of Bath Cantata Group choir.
• Married with three daughters in Shrewsbury, London and Sydney, and with three grandchildren.
• Nominated governor responsible for overseeing Safeguarding and Child Protection.
Sophie has been a Parent Governor since 2017. She is currently Office Manager for the UK & Ireland Office of a multinational company. Her responsibilities include HR, Accounting, Health & Safety, Facilities & Buildings, all of which help her in her role of Governor. She has previously worked in Marketing as an Account and Operations Manager and Investment Banking as a Division Adminstrator and Graduate Recruiter/Programme Manager, as well as a cleaner, a waitress and even in a chocolate factory! Sophie is also part of the Bath 66th Scout Group Executive Committee, she is involved in the ‘Friends of Broadmoor Lane’, ‘Future Weston’ and ‘Climate Change for Schools’ Community Groups. Sophie has been a part of the PTA and SMAG (School Meals Action Group) at WASPS for the last 9 years and also works within the Travel Plan and Environment Teams.